Favorite Five Friday didn’t happen this week. Nor did Favorite Six Saturday. Did I actually think that I would have more time to blog during my summer break from teaching? I am guilty of trying to cram a year’s worth of projects into eight weeks of vacation.
Besides working on home improvement projects this week, we spent lots of time with friends. Last weekend, one of my high school friends was in town for a few days with his two wonderful children. His visit was a great opportunity to gather a few more friends; some I hadn’t seen in more than 20 years! While we were all together, we celebrated the life of my friend, Andrea, who passed away earlier this year. She was an amazing woman who always took the time to encourage and love those around her. We toasted her life with her favorite drink. May she forever live in our hearts! I enjoyed, so much, reconnecting with old friends, as well as making new friends. A life without friendships would be like a cupcake without the icing!
Since I skipped my Favorite Five Friday this week, I figured that I owed you a Favorite Seven Sunday! Here are my favorite highlights from this past week….
1. An Unexpected Visit From my Nephew: One morning this week, my nephew stopped by for a surprise visit. With our busy schedules, it’s rare that I get to spend one-on-one time with him. He came, bearing treats for me. Without a doubt, he is the sweetest boy and I’m so proud of him. He truly has my heart. It seems like only yesterday that I was holding that precious, warm body in my arms. If only I could slow time! He will always be my Baby Pants.
2. My First Health Class: I recently had the chance to enroll in a two month class offered by Dr. Josh Axe. I have been a follower of his Real Food Diet for months. I was apprehensive, as I haven’t taken a class in over nearly twenty years. After my first class, I was so excited about the possibilities of a new career, I could hardly sleep! Of course, a new class called for new organizational supplies. We know that I am very obsessed with organization. I think that I would probably benefit from medication for that ailment. After a trip to Target, I am now ready to fill my new notebook with a wealth of nutritional knowledge!
3. Blue Ray-Bans: After seeing blue Ray-Bans all over the web, I had to have a pair for myself. While not the most practical, I was hesitant to pay full price. Really, blue Ray-Bans aren’t something that I would typically wear on a day-to-day basis. I scored a pair at half the price on eBay. Remind me to always check eBay first, before I purchase! These will be fabulous with my tunic swimsuit cover-up from Old Navy!
4. Putting Something Else Together By Myself: After putting together the cooler by myself last week, my confidence was soaring. When my table for Smokey’s Bar was delivered this week, I wasn’t hesitant to tackle it. There were a few moments of extreme frustration and I am sure that an few extra arms would have been very helpful! Holding four table legs in place while tightening screws was a challenge. I’m sure I must have have looked like a pretzel, as I recruited all of my limbs to help!
5. A Fire Column: Something came over me Friday afternoon. The cement around the pool was dry and I was itching to see if my new furniture would fit. I pulled it all out of the garage and spent a glorious hour arranging and rearranging. If you know me, you know that I love few things better than decorating! As I relaxed by the newly decorated, water-less pool, I realized that the poolside experience was not quite complete. As darkness approached, I knew that I needed the fire column I ‘d seen on a precious trip to Lowe’s. So, I jumped in my car on Saturday morning, and headed to the store. Unfortunately, I realized that there was no way I could ever make the oversize box fit into the trunk of the car. Much to my joy, my friends Doug and Holly came to my rescue. Not only did they transport the newly purchased fire column, Holly and I unloaded the eighty pound box by ourselves! The only problem we encountered was when the fire column door fell into the pool. For the first time, I was thankful that there was no water in the pool. I am sure that it must have nearly given the pool’s newest resident, the big green frog, a fright! Thank goodness for friends that come to your rescue in a time of need. I am sure that the fire column will bring great joy when shared with friends and a bottle of good wine! It’s a big improvement to last year’s fire pit that burned holes in my clothes and furniture.
6. My First Fresh Eggs: This week, I was gifted a carton of fresh eggs by my neighbor, Cindi. Cindi and I recently discovered that we both share a love for re-purposing and canning. I was thrilled when she offered me this most precious gift. I’d never eaten fresh eggs before. She was right when she told me that I’d never want to go back to the regular grocery store eggs. Each day this week, I cooked one of the glorious eggs for breakfast. Because of Cindi, I am rethinking the whole chicken situation. I wonder if I could have a chicken coop built to match our house…..
7. A New Book: I am a sucker for a pretty hard cover book full of beautiful pictures! Rachel Zoe has always been a longtime favorite. I love her glamorous, yet Bohemian, sense of style. When she came out with her new book, Living in Style, I knew I had to have it! As soon as I opened the book, there was a quote that caught my eye by another favorite style icon, Diane Von Furstenburg. “A lifestyle is not just a reflection of what you own or how you travel. It’s learning how to create a life that will make you happy.” I like that. Ashton and I have worked very hard to be able to have things that we enjoy. Although we don’t have the best of everything, we’ve worked to design a life that makes us happy, within our budget. And, it’s not the material things that make us the most happy; our happiness comes from surrounding ourselves with meaningful relationships and feeling grateful for all of the good things in our lives.
Here’s to wishing you lots of fantastic things in the coming week!
What were some of the highlights from your week? I’d love for you to share in a comment!