Summer just needs to slow the heck down. I can’t even get caught up with chores to enjoy my summer break. Before I know it, I will be back in the classroom, listening to my name being called a thousand times a day. The Fourth of July is always the hump of my summer vaca. Now that I’m officially over the hump, I feel so depressed. Can I please go back to that day? Even if I can’t go back, I can remember the tasty blueberry coffee cake I made….
Fortunately for me, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, so I’m picky over my desserts. I’d much rather have something homemade, versus something store-bought (with all of the icky preservatives). Even though this dessert is made from a cake mix, I feel that it must be healthier than something completely pre-packaged. If you are going to indulge, do it in the best way possible! Let’s face it, a life without treats is no fun! As long as you are eating mostly healthy, using smaller portions, I think that you should treat yourself! This recipe is so tasty and easy, that I must share it with you!
“Old Faithful” , my 1996 Mixmaster, doesn’t get used much these days.
This clay bear was one of the best inventions ever! Thanks to this bear, my brown sugar never gets hard. You can purchase a similar bear here.
I encourage you to try this simple recipe! Celebrate summer and blueberries before they are gone!
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 pkg white cake mix
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 8oz cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Combine all topping ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix well; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a large mixer bowl, combine cake mix, sugar, cream cheese, eggs, oil and water.
- Beat on low speed 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. (It will be thick!)
- Scatter blueberries evenly over batter.
- Sprinkle topping over berries.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool at least 30 minutes in pan.