Six months ago, I would have never imagined that I’d be going through a divorce. Until three months ago, I’d always thought my life was perfect. I never saw it coming. How is it even possible for life to change so quickly? Sometimes when life it at it’s most difficult, its hard to remain positive. These past few weeks, my emotions have been all over the place and, at times, it was all I could do to breathe. But, after my first week as a single woman, I’ve discovered that I will survive. Slowly, my life is returning to normal….or at least, a new normal. On Tuesday, I returned from work to find several of our things had been moved out. I had mentally prepared myself for this to happen. Nothing was taken that we hadn’t agreed upon. However, seeing the emptiness in the rooms made the reality of the separation so real and final. I wouldn’t be lying if I had said that I had to search for the good things in this week. When I started making my list, I realized that I am blessed. Because, at the end of the week, the good things far outweighed the bad.
As I list my favorite five today, my heart is full.
1. A Note From My Sister– If you know me, you know I love notes. When I returned from church on Sunday, my house was filled with the smell of homemade hash brown casserole. My sister had borrowed the oven and left the sweetest note for me. Of course, I immediately walked over to her house to sample the casserole. She is welcome to make my house smell good anytime….because now, my house smells like the bacon I burned last night.
2. Acts of Kindness- From countless hugs, to wine, to a new thermostat, to caps for the valve stems on my tires, people have been there for me. It touches me that they’ve made an effort to make my life easier. It makes me feel much less alone in this journey. By the way, the new thermostat is pretty awesome. I no longer have to get up at 4:30am to warm up the house for my 5:00am shower.
3. New Furniture- Over the weekend, I ordered a few new pieces of furniture for my bedroom. For the first time ever, I’m going to have bedroom furniture that I chose and purchased! My nightstand arrived yesterday….much earlier than I had expected. I was very excited about it’s arrival. As soon as I got it through the door, I tore into the box with a steak knife. #truestory For those of you that follow me on Instagram, you saw the huge mess. Now, my headboard and dresser need to get here as quickly!
4. My Babies- I was so glad that I was able to keep our cats. I’d have been heartbroken if I’d lost them. As with myself, they are adjusting and developing new routines. In the mornings, they want water from the faucet. Yes, they are on my counter top and I promise that I keep my house clean. Besides providing non-stop entertainment, I’m glad for the extra breathing bodies in the house.
5. A Pink Pillow- I brought my pink pillow downstairs from guest room. I really like it. It feels “girly”. I’m all about girl-power these days, so we’ll see where this goes. I predict that there will be more appearances of pink around the house. Why not?
In all, I survived the week. Were there meltdowns? Absolutely. There were also the most amazing feelings of happiness and independence. I know that the weeks will get easier because time heals. I’ve been down this road before.
What were the favorite things about your own week?