Does the thought of extra squish around your thighs seem more frightful than any creepy costume? Is the thought of a gi-normous calorie-laden candy binge enough to make you scream in horror? Do you dread the morning-after regret of a full-blown candy binge? Rest assured, most of us feel that very same way. With Halloween just around the corner, here are 8 of my favorite tricks that are guaranteed to give you control over those sweets so that you can avoid a horrid candy hangover!
1.Only Buy Candy That You Won’t Eat– Seriously, why would anyone torment themselves with things they can’t resist? I always buy candy that contains peanut butter. *Gag* I’m guaranteed not to sneak any pieces!
2. Buy Healthier Options– Who says that you have to give candy on Halloween? What about novelty items, such as pencils or balls? Even those cute bags of pretzels or popcorn are better options. I have a feeling that the kids might just appreciate a little variety!
3. Limit Your Exposure to Treats– Never, ever, buy a bag of candy on the first day of October. If you do buy it early, place it out of sight. Don’t open it until trick-or-treat time! That sounds so simple, but it’s hard to resist something that’s so easy to reach!
4. Eat Regular Healthful Meals- Skipping meals can set you up for a binge. Make sure that you aren’t hungry when you pass out those treats!
5. Plan to Treat Yourself…Just Not All Day!- It always helps me if I plan exactly when to treat myself. I’m also super-selective about what I chose. For example, I might plan to have a tasty Halloween cookie along with a beverage after trick-or-treating, instead of mindlessly chewing on countless pieces of random candy. Then you plan what and when to treat, you feel less guilty. I’m sure I’ll treat myself with both of these. Remember the Candy Corn Martini from last year?
6. Sip On A Low Cal Beverage- Make sure you choose something low in calories! My favorite beverage is sugar-free apple cider. I’ve found that sipping on hot beverages helps my cravings!
7. Chew Gum- If your mouth is busy chewing sugar-free gum, you won’t need to chew candy.
8. Brush Your Teeth- As soon as you finish a treat, brush your teeth. You will think twice about ruining a clean mouth!
What to do if you overindulge? Don’t panic! Remember….it takes 3,500 extra calories to gain one pound. Exercise a little more and eat little cleaner over the next week, and you should be good to go!
Do you have any other tips to add to the list? If so, please feel free to comment!